"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Wednesday, October 31, 2007

This Is Halloween...

A very Happy Halloween to all you boys and ghouls out there.... So strange how we've managed to take a Celtic death ritual and transform it into such a fun time in just 3,000 years, isn't it?
Special thanks goes to all those who contributed to The Vault of Horror's very first poll. The question was "Who Is Your Favorite Universal Monster", and Dracula won the thing handily, drawing a third of the vote. In a shocker, The Wolf Man rallied late to steal second place from the Frankenstein Monster, who had to settle for the bronze. Fourth and fifth were the Creature from the Black Lagoon and Mummy respectively, with the poor Phantom of the Opera getting only a single vote.
Still better than the Invisible Man, who got no love whatsoever. Perhaps, then, it was out of pity for good ol' Jack Griffin that I dressed up as him this year for the Feast of All Hallows, which you can readily observe above (hey folks, I do it for the kiddies, alright?)
Naturally, Halloween has always been a favorite holiday of mine, running neck and neck with Christmas. I have very fond memories of dressing up each year as a kid. Thanks to my demented gift of total recall, lets take a stroll down memory lane and look back on what some of these costumes were, shall we?
  • 1975: Charlie Brown (refused to wear the mask)
  • 1976: Clown
  • 1977: Superman
  • 1978: Spider-Man
  • 1979: Batman (detecting a pattern?)
  • 1980: Dracula (my best friend was a bat. Do the math.)
  • 1981: C-3P0 (Mom bought Boba Fett, but I didn't know who he was. Doh!)
  • 1982: E.T.
  • 1983: Darth Vader
  • 1984: He-Man
  • 1985: Zorro
  • 1986: Pirate (probably shouldn't have still been trick-or-treatin'. Lame!)
  • 1987: Dracula again

I stopped dressing up after that, in a futile attempt to seem cool. As I got older and it got cool again to dress up, some of my costumes included: Zombie, murder victim, Evil Dead, Gomez Adams, psycho surgeon, Michael Myers and Superman.

What about you? Leave a comment and let me know about some of your favorite Halloween costume memories....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I could remember what I dressed up as from year to year. I remember in 1991, when I was in 4th grade I first saw Halloween and Halloween II on the USA Network. So, naturally, I dressed up as Michael Meyers for Halloween that year. I got this sweet fake bloody knife with a retractable blade that would have a cheesy scream sound come out of a lame speaker.

I've also dressed up as a zombie a few times, the most notable being in 2003 when I had shaggy hair and a beard. Since I looked like a wannabe 70s person, I decided to be a wannabe zombie from Dawn of the Dead. I took green make up, put some white in it, and rubbed it all over my face. After that, I put fake blood and some black make up in the beard. It was pretty gnarly...but I got plenty of attention at the Halloween party I attended.

One thing I learned, though, is that chicks do not dig a dude with fake blood in his beard (or even real blood, for that matter).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...