"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mission to Monroeville, Part 2

When last we left our intrepid adventurers (a.k.a. my wife and myself), it was January 2001, mere months before making the commitment to parenthood, and I had managed to convince Mrs. B-Sol to accompany me on a frivolous seven-hour excursion to the Monroeville Mall, site of George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

Let's pick up the action as the two of us explore the infamous shopping center that was once infested with fake zombies:



Here we have the very escalator upon which scores of extras in blue facepaint once stumbled around aimlessly. I was tempted to do the same, but figured I would probably wind up breaking my neck.


My lovely bride, perhaps the greatest sport in the history of good sports, patronizes her husband by posing in the same elevator in which Flyboy met his tragic demise. I couldn't find the trapdoor in the ceiling, but I'm positive this is the one, since it's the only elevator in the department store. I think it might've been covered by a drop ceiling.


The instantly recognizable windowed ceiling above the fountain. Famous from both Dawn of the Dead, and the episode of Mister Roger's Nieghborhood in which Chef Brockett participates in a bake-off at the Monroeville Mall.

And below that ceiling, the fountain, around which Tom Savini and his biker clan rode menacingly before completely screwing up everything Fran, Peter, Steven and Roger had worked so hard to establish. It's also seen during the sequence in which the protagonists are carting off all the former ghouls laying around everywhere. At the time of this picture, it was no longer in operation, and I believe it has since been ripped out.
Stay tuned for the final installment of "Mission to Monroeville"...
* * * * * * * * * *
In other news, I'd like to extend a heartfelt congratulations to Vault of Horror contributor Ray-Ray on his entrance into the bonds of matrimony Saturday night. Had a great time, pal. No sleep till Brooklyn!

5 comments:

gord said...

Great pics, looking forward to the rest of the story. If only I lived in America (I'm a Canuck) and Pen. wasn't so very far away.

If only you could get your wife to do the flyboy zombie pose as he exited the elevator.

Anonymous said...

the episode of Mister Roger's Neighborhood in which Chef Brockett

Don Brockett, as I'm sure you're aware, has a cameo in Day of the Dead. As a zombie chef, no less. And apparently he was also a zombie in the NotLD remake.

He's actually got a fairly impressive horror resume. Too bad the same can't be said for Betty Aberlin.

Jo said...

Nice! Now there's a mall I wouldn't mind spending some time in. Check out Horror's Hallowed Grounds, it's a guys project of going to various horror sites and making little episodes of such. It's pretty interestings, especially the episode where he visits the original Halloween sets.

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased to see that someone else has also made the famous trek to Monroeville Mall! I also have been there three times(I live in Ohio so it is only 3 hour trek). I haven't been to it recently, the last time I was there they were sadly remodeling it again and tearing out all the lovely 70's decor. I went the first time to a Dawn Reunion and got to meet most of the cast, had them sign my poster and they watched Dawn with us making comments during the film - and also took us on a walking tour of the mall. Right near the mall (in the parking lot) is the convention center - it was great. The only sad thing is I don't have Fran's signature, she was missing from this reunion. And I also did what you did and took pictures of everything and ran around JC Pennys like crazy! :) You had to take a shot of the escalator in there somewhere right?? I wonder if mall workers sometimes wonder why there are people running around taking photos and acting like its a tourist site.

B-Sol said...

There seemed to be more security around than you'd usually see at the average suburban mall. I'm thinking it's something they've had to deal with over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...