"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Monday, April 5, 2010

ZOMBIELAND--Through the Decades!

I happen to be a big fan of the Zombieland--and a huge reason why i think it works so well is the amazing chemistry between its two leads, Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg. Those two guys just absolutely click, and the rest of the movie's goodness flows out of their interaction.

So naturally (well, naturally if you're me), I started thinking: What would this movie look like if it were made in earlier decades of film history? Which two actors of previous eras could pull off the perfect chemistry to make Zombieland work in any time period, and what incarnations of movie zombies would they each face? A couple of possibilities immediately came to mind, and before I knew it, I had it plotted out going back through seven decades of cinema.

The ages may be slightly off in some of the cases, but I got a kick out of imagining what these pairings would yield, and I hope you do, too.

* * * * * * * * * *

1990s ZOMBIELAND

















BRUCE WILLIS & BEN STILLER


Taking on...


Dead Alive zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1980s ZOMBIELAND




















CHUCK NORRIS & JOHN CUSACK


Taking on...


Return of the Living Dead zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1970s ZOMBIELAND











JON VOIGHT & WOODY ALLEN


Taking on...


Lucio Fulci zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1960s ZOMBIELAND














STEVE McQUEEN & GENE WILDER


Taking on...


Night of the Living Dead zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1950s ZOMBIELAND















JOHN WAYNE & JERRY LEWIS


Taking on...


Mora Tau zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1940s ZOMBIELAND



















GARY COOPER & MICKEY ROONEY


Taking on...


Val Lewton zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

1930s ZOMBIELAND


















GEORGE RAFT & JIMMY STEWART


Taking on...


White Zombies!

* * * * * * * * * *

Fun, right? OK, glad I got that out of my system...

6 comments:

Pax Romano said...

I would give my left arm to see that 1970's version! I hope Woody wrote the script for it.

How about the 20's version(silent of course) with with Douglas Fairbanks and Harold Loyd (featuring Gloria Swanson and Bebe Daniels as the tag-a-long chicks) fighting off Keystone Cop-like zombies! ;)

B-Sol said...

Pax, I had a feeling you might get a kick out of this one! The idea actually started when my dad notices that every line coming out of Eisenberg's mouth sounded like it was written for Woody Allen. So it got me thinking...

Michael said...

Ok, not related, but I'm wondering if you've seen the "Marble Hornets" web series yet on youtube. It's weird. I'm almost ashamed to admit that the first 15 or so segments scared the crap out of me. Like, too scared to go to the bathroom before bed without turning on all the lights on the way. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

The Man-Cave said...

Awesome post!! Cusack and The Norris vs. the ROTLD? Oh what could have been? It could end with the Army nuking the place and only Chuck survives the blast because, well, he is Chuck.

ZedWord said...

Fun article!

Small nitpick, though. White Zombie wasn't released or produced by Universal, as far as I know. Parts were shot on the Universal lot, but the film was distributed by United Artists. Universal never released a zombie movie to my knowledge.

Nerd drive disengaged!

B-Sol said...

Haven't seen that series, Michael!

And good catch, Zed, thanks! I need to fix that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...