"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Random Ramblings from the Vault...

  • I'm loving the newly unveiled sneak peeks at the zombies in AMC's upcoming The Walking Dead TV series. They really got the Tony Moore look down.
  • My local retro movie theater has announced this summer's lineup of cult classics, which will include Lucio Fulci's The Gates of Hell. The Gates of Hell, on the big screen? To quote my long-time, close, personal buddy Stone Cold Steve Austin, oh hell yeah.
  • My recent growing obsession with 1970s Marvel horror comics continues. One very underrated artist whose work I'm really coming to appreciate is Mike Ploog, who worked on Savage Sword of Conan and my beloved Man-Thing, among other projects. He also did design work for the Heavy Metal movie! Cool stuff.
  • As cool as the whole "stitched-up eyeball" look is in Corman's Frankenstein Unbound, it doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do when constructing one's own reanimated corpse. I mean, there had to have been some intact eyeballs somewhere...
  • All these years later, I'm still not sure there's anything creepier than the original Dr. Who opening, glimpsed amidst the static of public television on UHF...
  • Started reading Valley of the Dead this week, a brand new zombie novel from another fellow LoTTD-er, Kim Paffenroth (of Gospel of the Living Dead fame.) The book postulates that Dante's harrowing vision of The Inferno was actually inspired by a "real-life" undead outbreak he witnessed while exiled from Florence. Fascinating thus far. Full review to come.
  • Memo to Chris Nolan: How about some Egghead in the next Batman flick? Yeah, I know that kind of tosses the whole grim, post-modern thing out the window, but hey, the third movie is when a superhero franchise goes down the crapper anyway, so just go with it! I nominate Bill Hader for the role (he already does a passable Vincent Price!)
  • The Lucky 13 continues to plug along, spotlighting a different sub-genre each week. We just got through with demonic horror, and I must reiterate how amazed I was that no one, either here or at Brutal As Hell, chose The Exorcist or The Evil Dead! I didn't either, but still shocking that no one did. Maybe people are lumping ED in with zombie flicks, we'll see...
  • As you can probably tell from the title of the blog, I'm a big EC Comics fan. I was also recently made aware of EC Film, Radio & Television Ltd., the company which officially holds the rights to all EC properties with regard to development into media projects, in conjunction with the estate of William M. Gaines. You can check them out on Facebook right here, to stay on top of any and all upcoming EC-related projects.

4 comments:

The Mike said...

Regarding the Lucky 13, I was pretty amazed no one picked Exorcist, and Evil Dead would have made sense too. Alas, the writeups left me no argument.

And I'm all for Egghead, and Hader too. Good call.

Unknown said...

That's quite the lineup in Avon. I'm DEFINITELY going to have to book some work trips to the area for some of these films-though I'm a bit disappointed I have to miss The Gates of Hell

Strange Kid said...

Is it just me or does that zombie from The Walking Dead and Linda Blair from The Exorcist look like they could be related.

BTW, E.C. Comics are THE very best horror-themed publications ever.

B-Sol said...

Mike #1: I came so close to pick Exorcist, but was sure someone else would! Go figure...

Mike #2: Yeah, Gates of Hell is Thursday night, I'm really hoping I can make it down there myself!

Kid: EC clearly rules. Jack Davis is my fave artist, but there were so many...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...