"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Random Ramblings from the Vault...

  • So Frank Darabont has walked out on The Walking Dead. After six episodes. Forgive me if I've been scarred, but didn't original Walking Dead artist Tony Moore walk away from the comic book after just six issues? And, in my opinion, the book was never the same again. I'm sincerely hoping the same thing isn't going to happen to the show, but I'm finding it very hard to be optimistic...
  • At long last, after years of pining under the yoke of Optimum, I have switched to Comcast cable, which means that I now have FearNet. It may not be as glorious as my beloved Monsters HD, but it's still very enjoyable, and I've already managed to take in Fright Night for the first time in years. Actually, I've watched it twice in the past few days. Plus a really boring ghost movie starring Mia Farrow called The Haunting of Julia. Never heard of it before, and I can see why.
  • Speaking of Fright Night, how odd is it that the movie starred Amanda Bearse and William Ragsdale--who, just a couple of years later, would both find themselves starring in separate sitcoms on the fledgling Fox Network? Ragsdale was the star of the nearly forgotten Herman's Head, while Bearse would of course play the notorious Marcy Darcy on Married with Children. Always found that to be an amusing coincidence...
  • Took in Rabid at the Avon Theatre last week, and it still amazes me how far David Cronenberg has come in his directorial career. Some people may call him a sellout for going from fare like Rabid and The Brood to movies like Eastern Promises. I simply call it the mark of a great director.
  • Caught my son trying to bite my daughter on the neck today. They were trying to find out if it would hurt. I tried to explain that it was very different without sharp fangs involved. Oh well...at least they're learning all the important stuff.
  • OK, Star Wars fanatics--and I'm one, don't get me wrong--explain this to me: What's so awful about being slowly digested in the belly of the Sarlacc over a thousand years, when you'd surely suffocate and die within a matter of minutes anyway? Been wondering about that one since 1983.
  • True to my word, I've stuck with True Blood after that god-awful Season 4 opener, and I have to say that it has improved. Not quite back to the heights of last season, but it's holding my attention. There are simply too many supernatural creatures running around, and the less said about the fairies, the better. Still, I'm digging the witch storyline, and the Bill/Eric switcheroo is an interesting twist. My love-hate relationship with the series continues.
  • It just so happens that I currently find myself working for a company whose late founder was the brother of a well-known genre filmmaker. Without naming any names--that ol' Google search can be a real S.O.B.--he was the director behind such pictures as Attack of the 50-Foot Woman and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. In fact, I suspect The Vault may have even helped me land the job, but you didn't hear that from me. Small world, is it not?
  • I recently landed an interview with legendary horror host Zacherley, which I've been sitting on for some weeks now, just waiting for the right moment to spring it on you, dear Vault dwellers. The one and only Cool Ghoul went in-depth on his storied career, and his opinions of horror past and present. It's a great listen, trust me on that--so keep a lookout for it in the days to come.
  • Less than two days remaining until the long-awaited screening of Troll 2 at the Avon. This is promising to be a big one, and I'll even have my own oft-discussed progeny, Zombelina & Skeleton Jack, on-hand to help give away trivia prizes. Do try to join us, as Captain Cruella is even now in the midst of crafting a special Troll 2 goblin replica as a giveaway...

8 comments:

Carol said...

The Goblins look very cute... I mean, fearsome--and evil!

Leah Saylor-Abney said...

"Caught my son trying to bite my daughter on the neck today...Oh well...at least they're learning all the important stuff."

When I read that I laughed so loud my daughter asked me what I'd just read. And telling her gave me a chance to whine about other horror fans' kids actually liking the genre. She said, "Hey, I watched Paranormal Activity 2 with you, didn't I?"

Baby steps ;)

Anonymous said...

As far as your job goes,JUR either AN or out in that INSTITUTion.Always liked detective novels,and you're giving a subtle clue was too irresistible to pass on trying to figure it out,lol.

NightoftheLivingDead said...

It Came From Outer Space review? Hilarious. I love those old 50's "B" movies.

Keep an eye on my blog at www.NightOfTheLivingDead.tv as we seem to have similar taste.

deadlydolls said...

I have never, nor ever will, forget Herman's Head.

B-Sol said...

The Goblin ("Fred") went to a very lucky moviegoer Thursday night!
Baby steps, Leah...baby steps. Glad you liked the little anecdote :-)
Bagman...you just may be on to something...
Glad you enjoyed the review, NOTLD, I really put my heart into that one.
And Emily...I don't think any of us who saw Herman's Head will ever *truly* forget it. Although I was more into Mr. President and Women in Prison...

Matty said...

Too bad about the whole walking dead thing. I really like those first six episodes. I have zombie fever!

Check this one out if you get bored.

http://soldierwateringhole.blogspot.com/2011/09/dark-pleasures.html

B-Sol said...

I'm still holding out hope that the new season will be good. And thanks for the link!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...