"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Just in Case You Weren't Sure If Twilight Was Going to Be a Smash...

Yahoo Music reported today that the soundtrack to the upcoming vampire romance Twilight has actually debuted at number-one on the Billboard album chart--more than a week before the film is even released. It's the first soundtrack album to do so since 2002's 8 Mile. It's one of only seven soundtrack's to ever debut at #1, and one of only seven to reach that spot before its respective movie was released (one of which was The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night.)

Clearly, there's a ravenous fan base out there that is prepared to make this movie one of the biggest money-makers of the year--perhaps second only to last summer's The Dark Knight. As I said in yesterday's post, vampires are cool again.

In case anyone's interested (I'm not, incidentally), the soundtrack contains tracks by the likes of Linkin Park, Perry Farrell and Collective Soul (they're still around?), as well as a song performed by Robert Pattinson, who plays the lead vampire Eric. The flick hits theaters on November 21.

* * * * * * * * * *

The Vault of Horror's recent outreach to the horror blogging community on the subject of casual vs. hardcore horror fandom seems to have created quite a buzz of late. For those wondering, I've already received a great many responses, and am in the process of tabulating the submitted lists now. There are still a few precincts left to be heard from, but I think this experiment is going to yield some interesting results.

Also, a reader of one of the participating blogs, And Now the Screaming Starts, claims to have taken part in the original HMV survey, and explained that HMV actually provided voters with a list of 50 movies, and asked them to pick their ten favorites. So basically, HMV asked readers to rank a list of 50 movies which the website had already selected--thus rendering their results even more of a sham than I originally thought. All the more reason to pool the collective wisdom of the cyber-horror elite to provide a list we can all be proud of. In other words, a list that doesn't include the 2004 remake of Salem's Lot.

8 comments:

CRwM said...

Dear Vault Keeper,

My district still has to send its votes in, but I want to clarify that it was a reader of Stacey's excellent Final Girl blog who sounded off about the flawed methodology HMV's "poll." All I did was update my story to reflect the info she posted.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

B-Sol said...

Ah yes, my bad. Thanks!

pot head pixie said...

Fantastic. My friends and I were original gore hounds in the 80s as teenagers in the UK so if you'd like any input from me I'd be happy to oblige (and with a European slant to boot).

B-Sol said...

Can you send me your email address?

Anonymous said...

I also took part in HMV's sham of a poll and would love to take part in your more noble version. Am I too late? Where do I submit my list?

B-Sol said...

Alas, Keywolf, voting is only open to online horror bloggers/reporters. are you online? even so, we're already in the second round of voting, so I'll have to say no... but if you have a link, please send it my way, maybe I can include you in the next online survey!

Anonymous said...

Ok, no worries. I'll just look forward to the results, can't wait to see what you guys come up with. But if the Salem's Lot remake makes the list again I'm not gonna be impressed!

B-Sol said...

I can safely say, from now, that the Salem's Lot remake did not receive a single vote.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...