"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

VAULTCAST: Talking with Meir Zarchi, Steven Monroe & Sarah Butler of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE!

One of the privileges I've been afforded since launching The Vault of Horror is being able to interact with those individuals directly involved with the films that have affected me over the years. I had just such an experience earlier this week when, after catching the remake of I Spit on Your Grave at a screening in Manhattan, I was afforded the opportunity to speak about it with the film's director, Steven Monroe; the star, Sarah Butler, who plays Jennifer Hill; and of course, the one and only Meir Zarchi himself--both producer of the remake and director of the still-controversial 1978 original.

It's my distinct pleasure to be able to share this with you, and I'm grateful to all participants for pulling no punches and expecting nothing less in return, especially Mr. Zarchi in our discussion of the much-debated issues of misogyny. Also, thanks to Alexis Hoyt and the rest of the fine people at Falco Ink for reaching out and making these interviews possible. You can listen in on the embedded player below, or proceed to the official Vaultcast page for download...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The audio was a little difficult to hear at times. But I don't agree with Zarchi's comment that only women can judge if the film is misogynistic or not. That's just ridiculous.

Miguel Rodriguez said...

Wow, what a triple blast of interesting interviews, sir! Oh, Meir Zarchi. I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt and assume that his intention was in the right place. I just don’t think he has the intellectual wherewithal to make such bold statements about such a sensitive topic. I also don’t think he had the filmmaking prowess when he made ISOYG. It’s interesting hearing his take on the original, but some of his thoughts were just bizarre. Just because sexuality is part of the human condition does NOT mean it will be part of a rape revenge fantasy. That makes no sense, whatsoever.

I don't mean to downplay the interviews of Stephen Monroe or Sarah Butler, which were interesting, but that Zarchi bit required comment.

James Gracey said...

Just downloading now - can't wait to check this one out. Kudos indeed, Brian! :o)

B-Sol said...

Thank you sir! Please let me know what you thought if it!

Dave said...

really looking forward to this. Thanks for the insightful interviews. Whatever people think - that's the idea - to make people think. We've been talking about this since 1978 and it sounds like we're gonna keep on talking!

fallon said...

I had the same reaction as Planet of Terror - that comment of Zarchi that only women can judge the film really struck me. I don't agree with it either, but it's interesting when people argue that only the targeted offended party can be offended, not anyone who's a bystander to the possible offense. If that makes sense. Hence. Fence. Suspense.

B-Sol said...

Couldn't agree more, Dave!

And Fallon, yeah it seems a bit bogus to me, as well. And excellent rhyme scheme, by the way ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...