"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Monday, November 15, 2010

Random Ramblings from the Vault...

  • So I thought I lost my laptop tonight, for a few very harrowing minutes. Not sure what that has to do with horror, but it sure scared the crap out of me.
  • I've been enjoying The Walking Dead on AMC so far, and am in fact getting set to watch the replay of episode 3 in just a few minutes. I must say, they've managed to capture what made the book such a favorite of mine, and I look forward to continued greatness. AMC has clearly overtaken HBO as the place for top-flight TV drama (although I do love my Boardwalk Empire...)
  • For those who may not know, I happen to be very fond of exploring old cemeteries. It's kind a "hobby" of mine, if you'd call it that. I'd like to share a handful of recent pictures I snapped while traipsing amongst the dead...


  • I think I could probably watch Suspiria every single day. Just wanted to put that out there...
  • Who do you think would win in a fight between original Freddy and remake Freddy? I'm sure few would disagree, but I'm thinking O.G. Krueger would have the little imposter for breakfast.
  • Why do people consider The Hunchback of Notre Dame (either version) to be a horror film? It's really not at all, even by a very liberal definition of the genre.
  • I'm exciting to be returning to the Avon Theatre this Thursday to introduce a screening of Poltergeist. If you happen to be in the Stamford, Connecticut area, come on down and say hello!
  • Speaking of Hudson Horror, I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Dr. Kim Paffenroth there. The author of Gospel of the Living Dead, Valley of the Dead and other zombie tomes (not to mention a fellow LoTT-D member) was very gracious with his time, and I look forward to posting the video of the interview later this week.
  • Still peaking of Hudson Horror, one of the private collectors who provided 35mm prints to the show, Matt Pennachi, also happens to be hosting his own 35mm series down in North Carolina, known as Cinema Overdrive. Best of all, each show gets its own vintage-style poster featuring the movies being shown. There's some very cool artwork on display here, and I was psyched to find that the posters are actually for sale as prints, for any of you who are interested in horror film art. Well worth checking out!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last time I remember you talking about the Walking Dead comic, you were complaining about how boring it was because there wasn't enough zombies in it. Now it is a "favorite" of yours?

Monster Scholar said...

Nice shots and about the Hunchback thing, you're spot on. Along with Phantom, there were originally billed as historical films. I think the Hunchback is categorized as horror because it contains the grotesque with Quasimototo, something that also appears in Japanese horror films like the Horrors of Malformed Men.

Missy Y. said...

Is it wrong of me to say that while I appreciate The Walking Dead, I am kind of over zombies for the moment? They are just everywhere, right?

Also, re: Suspiria, I feel the same way about The Fog. My addiction to that films is truly unhealthy. I mean, really, who can get enough of John Carpenter and Adrienne Barbeau together? (This is why I also watch Escape From New York all the time.)

The cemetery shots are groovy. I think lurking cemeteries might be one of the things I spent most of my time doing in New Orleans. Marie Leveau's grave was surprisingly simple and not that exciting. Having said that, someone really, really needs to make a GOOD horror movie based in NOLA voodoo.

sharayabrooks said...

Great photos!

April said...

I always, always find cemeteries creepy and really hair-raising. Who doesn't? Great photography, though.

Spooky Sean said...

ADD for the win!

B-Sol said...

Glad people liked the photography!

Jeanette, I'm also glad you see what I mean about Hunchback...

And Missy, I can't blame you for being totally over zombies at this point--but still, Walking Dead is one hell of a show...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...