"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Saturday, December 3, 2011

Random Ramblings from the Vault...

  • Has anyone ever noticed an unusual preponderance of mute female characters in Hammer films? I'm thinking the Brits must like their women silent. If anyone else has a better explanation, I'm all ears.
  • 'Tis the season to watch Christmas movies, and as I lay here taking in the classic It's a Wonderful Life on NBC, I can't believe I never noticed before how closely it resembles a feature-length Twilight Zone episode...albeit with a much more upbeat finale.
  • I've got to give a positive review to Troll Hunter, which I finally got the chance to see recently. A very interesting concept, although I take issue with the way in which the filmmakers felt the need to perpetuate the whole myth about trolls smelling the blood of Christian men, while scientifically debunking all other troll-related folklore. That seemed a bit incongruous. Still, all in all, an ingenious film I recommend highly.
  • I'm surprised that my recent Vault poll to determine the favorite Abbott & Costello horror comedy after A&C Meet Frankenstein resulted in A&C Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff as the winner. While I enjoy all their flicks, I just didn't think Bud & Lou were at their best in that one. Maybe it was because Karloff was such a minor player in the movie, but I personally find A&C Meet the Invisible Man, A&C Meet the Mummy, A&C Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Hold That Ghost! to all be superior.
  • Speaking of my second favorite comedy duo (sorry, but Laurel & Hardy rule all), a recent viewing of A&C's horror comedies got me thinking... Can you imagine if the boys were around today, and making movies like Abbott & Costello Meet Jason, or Abbott & Costello Meet Pinhead? I can see it now... "We will tear your soul apart!" "Ohhhhh CH-CHICK!!!"
  • It truly was a blissful experience hosting the one and only Psycho at the Avon Theatre in Stamford with Captain Cruella. As I said that night, Hitchcock's masterpiece is not just a mere cult horror classic, but one of the finest motion pictures ever made, period. It's one of those movies that's a joy to watch from beginning to end. Now I just need to get the Universal 50th anniversary DVD release...
  • I'd like to wish a belated happy 10th birthday to the VoH's cutest little correspondent, my dear little Zombelina. At her birthday party a couple weeks ago, I took it upon myself to entertain the pajama-clad fifth graders with a screening of the original House on Haunted Hill, my girl's favorite horror movie. Not a bad follow-up to last year's Brides of Dracula, wouldn't you say?
  • And speaking of pint-sized Vault of Horror contributors, I'm proud to say that my other progeny, Skeleton Jack, has at long last started up his very own blog, and I'd appreciate it if you went over and gave it a look. It's called Jack's Movie Town, and wouldn't you know it, his first two movie reviews are for horror flicks. I guess it's that whole apple/tree thing...
  • Captain Cruella and I were recently asked to be the subjects of a most interesting and evocative cemetery photo shoot in the wiles of Staten Island. Through the talents of photographer Laura Pennace, we were transformed into a couple of star-crossed ghostly lovers. Best of all, it gave me a chance to play dress-up, which I always appreciate. Take a gander at the full photo shoot right here...
  • It's almost the end of the year, which means it's already time to start thinking about the Cyber Horror Awards. Can you believe it? The first-ever horror movie awards voted on by online critics is now proudly entering its fourth year, and I'll be recruiting some judges to help me with nominations shortly. Then it goes out to all you blogger folk to vote on the best of 2011. Stay tuned, as nominations will probably be announced some time in early February...

6 comments:

Jose Cruz said...

Have you ever seen the TZ episode "The Changing of the Guard"? It stars Donald Pleasance as a retiring schoolmaster who comes into contact with the spirits of all his beloved students from the past during the Christmas season. Your comparison of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE to the fifth dimension made me think of that one in particular, and if you haven't seen it already it comes highly recommended! Perfect holiday viewing.

Ron Zoso said...

Considering how many Hammer starlets were hired on their looks alone and not acting ability, the choice to make their characters mute might come down to the bottom line. Save Hammer the expense of dubbing with another actor.

teddy crescendo said...

The original 1958 version of "House on Haunted Hill" is another one of those movies with a truly incredible re-watchability quality, in fact its one of only 3 films that i`ve actually watched over 1000 times, the other 2 being: "Forbidden Planet" (1956) and "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1960).

B-Sol said...

I never saw that TZ episode Joe, but I'm not in the least bit surprised. I'll have to track it down.

Ron, you make a very good point. Never thought of it that way! lol

Teddy, you're so right! It's my kids' favorite horror movie, they watch it about once a month. And I happily join in...

teddy crescendo said...

Its such a cosy and soothing movie, i literally never get tired of being in that house with those characters, and, like you said, its a perfect "kids horror movie" because it isn`t too gory or horrifying but it does have a couple of genuinely chilling scenes but nothing to scare them too badly. By the way, the remake with Geoffrey Rush from 1999 was a pretty good film but it just didn`t have the same soothing and cosy qualitys of the original and there-fore not quite the same re-watchability factor, although its still the best film that Geoffrey Rush has ever appeared in (by a long way), i hate those bloody "Pirates of the Carribean" movies, they are all ludicrously over-rated unwatchable garbage ! ! !.

B-Sol said...

Cozy is such a great way to describe it! It is definitely a "comfort" horror movie for me (and my kids).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...