"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Monday, December 15, 2008

Stephen King Picks His Ten Favorite Movies of 2008

The ever-eccentric and mind-bogglingly prolific Stephen King has selected his suitably eccentric ten best film picks for the past year. As part of his regular column for Entertainment Weekly, Maine's master of the macabre has selected a batch of flicks ranging from the expected to the... well, unexpected, to say the least:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Slumdog Millionaire
3. WALL-E
4. Tropic Thunder
5. Funny Games
6. The Bank Job
7. Lakeview Terrace
8. The Ruins
9. Redbelt
10. Death Race


Not that he's expected to only like horror movies, but for the record, it's worth noting that King chose Funny Games and The Ruins as his only two horror picks. His top four are solid, and I'd agree, for the most part (although I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet). From there it gets... kind of... quirky...?

Anyway, if you'd like to read the author's own explanations for his choices, check it out on EW.com.

11 comments:

Alana Noel Voth said...

Awesome! I loved Funny Games and loved The Ruins. I was also blown away by Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. Otherwise, would the movie have been as awesome?

Anonymous said...

...How did Redbelt make anyone's Top 10 list?

B-Sol said...

As awesome? No. But still pretty awesome? Yes.

frgodbeyjr said...

I thought Funny Games was awful... the rewind scene was so lame. The Ruins was just average for me. It is interesting to see the different types of movies King enjoys though. BTW, thanks for following my blog. I appreciate it very much.

frgodbeyjr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
frgodbeyjr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

I enjoyed Funny Games, but I wouldn't place it on my top 10. King is such a movie fan, I love it. Nothing I dislike more than a writer or a film maker saying they don't watch movies, or acting like nothing is good enough. Reading Danse Macabre made me like King all that much more [even if I only like about 1/3 of his work].

Bo said...

I'm a big fan of Haneke, so Funny Games would be on my list if it hadn't been a remake. It is an odd list from King, but this is also the dude who brought Maximum Overdrive to the screen.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see the man has a sense of humor and put Tropic Thunder on there.

cindy said...

haven't seen all of them, but hated the ruins. i really want to see wall-e and tropic thunder. haven't been to the movies much lately, :[ i'll have to catch themon the cable rotations.

B-Sol said...

Wall-E and Tropic Thunder were both terrific. I'm surprised about The Ruins too, since I heard it wasn't anything special.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...