"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Connecticut-Area Horror Hounds Prepare for Autumn Awesomeness!!

I don't usually like to do posts with only regional appeal, but this is just too cool not to plug. If you happen to be anywhere near the vicinity of Connecticut, in particular the city of Stamford in Fairfield County, then ye olde Avon Theatre has a few treats up its sleeve for you come this October. The Avon has been pleasing cinephiles with showings of great old flicks for years now, but this time they've outdone themselves in the horror department.

I just came back from checking out their newly announced fall lineup, which includes:

NEAR DARK - Thurs. Oct. 1, 9 p.m.
The Bill Paxton/Lance Henriksen cult vampire fave that was actually thought at one time to have no surviving film prints, despite being a mere 20 years old.

THE CALL OF CTHULHU - Wed. Oct. 7, 7 p.m.
Yes, I'm talking about the rare, silent film that is still the only screen adaptation of Lovecraft's most famous story. Plus, it will be hosted by the one and only horror critic extraordinaire, Maitland McDonagh. RayRay, you really need to come up to CT for this one, my man...

FRIDAY THE 13th - Thurs. Oct. 15, 8 p.m.
Needless to say, we're talking about the original here. And on-hand that night for a special Q&A? Everybody's favorite cable-knit sweater wearing momma, Ms. Betsy Palmer herself!

ZOMBIE & DEMONS - Thurs. Oct. 29, 9 p.m.
For Halloween--a double feature of Italian horror goodness. First Fulci, then Bava. Cose di pazze!

And it ain't all about horror, because the Avon also has scheduled showings of Full Metal Jacket (12/3), True Romance (11/12), Life of Brian (12/17), and Witness for the Prosecution (10/22, hosted by Gene frickin' Wilder!). Check out their website for more info. You better believe I'm going to be heading out to check out as many of these as Mrs. B-Sol--I mean, my schedule--will allow. Anybody else in the CT area (I'm lookin' at you, J-Rock and Maweanne), come down and join me, won't you?

4 comments:

Jeff Allard said...

A little bit of a hike for me but it sounds like a good time - especially Call of Cthulu. Maybe I'll make it down there - thanks for the heads-up!

Samuel Wilson said...

They have a treat in store if Call of Cthulhu is playing. That film is a gem.

J-Rock said...

Dude, I'm on the Avon like Jason on drug-using teenage camp counselors. I'm still hoping they show Friday the 13th Part 5 with Miguel A. Nunez, Jr. as a special guest. "Oo baby, oo baby!"

Thanks for the plug to my half-finished Geocities migration blog.

RayRay said...

With a little luck, I will be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in the Arctic in the middle of a blizzard.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...