"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009: The Year in Horror, Part 1

It's that time of year again, when the VoH takes a look into the proverbial crystal ball to see what the brand new year has in store for us fans of the gothic and macabre. I'm breaking up my preview into two parts. Tonight, I'm focusing on those projects which already have a set release date.

1/9
The Unborn: This comes to us from writer/director David S. Goyer. He gave us the new Batman flicks, the Blade movies and the underrated cult classic Dark City. He also gave us Kickboxer 2 and that Nicky Fury TV movie with David Hasselhoff.

1/16
My Bloody Valentine 3-D: Had enough of the endless horror remakes? OK, well here's another one, except... it's in 3-D! Rock on!

1/20
Boogeyman 3: Direct to video, as it should be. Wait... there was a Boogeyman 2?

1/23
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: This medieval prequel charts the origins of the ages-old feud between the vampires and werewolves. Translation: No Kate Beckinsale.

2/6
Coraline: Cool dads everywhere will be taking their kids to see this long-awaited stop-motion animated film from Neil Gaiman and Henry "Nightmare Before X-Mas" Selick.

2/13
Friday the 13th: The most anticipated remake of them all. 'Nuff said.

2/17
Dead Like Me: Life After Death: All those who felt crushed when the criminally under-recognized Showtime series got yanked will finally get a shot at some closure with this direct-to-video production.

3/20
Lesbian Vampire Killers: Much like Smuckers, with a name like that, it has to be good.

3/24
The Grudge 3: At long last, the direct-to-video trigger is pulled on the Grudge franchise. This time Shawnee Smith of Saw fame stars.

3/27
Monsters vs. Aliens: I'll admit that this looks like a gem of an animated comedy, and it's got Stephen Colbert as the voice of the President. But I'm given pause that it's brought to us by the directors of Shrek 2 and Shark Tale.

5/15
The Descent: Part 2: I wasn't aware of this one, but given the tremendous popularity of the original, there's sure to be a lot of interest here.

5/29
Drag Me to Hell: Sam Raimi's triumphant return to the horror genre. Think of it as a breather before he rolls up his sleeves and tries to save the Spider-Man series.

8/21
Final Destination: Death Trip 3-D: In the time-honored tradition of Jaws, Friday the 13th and The Amityville Horror, the FD series makes that ultimate horror desperation move. It was supposed to happen more appropriately with the third one, but this time they finally made it happen.

8/28
Halloween 2: Rob Zombie's sequel to his 2007 remake is on the fast track as we speak.

9/18
Jennifer's Body: Diablo Cody, she of the pretentiously affected Juno, penned this horror comedy, in which Megan Fox will not appear topless.

9/25
The Crazies: Apparently this is the one remake that has no one upset, since George Romero's original has so many detractors.

10/16
The Stepfather: Christopher Meloni of HBO's Oz fame picks up the mantle of the heavy in this remake, while his new wife will be played by Sela Ward, who happens to be married to the guy who played Bub in Day of the Dead.

10/23
Saw VI: Yep.

11/6
The Wolf Man: Here's my personal most-anticipated flick of 2009. Can't wait to hopefully witness Benicio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins do Lon Chaney and Claude Rains proud.

11/20
New Moon: The first of the three inevitable sequels to Twilight. If you're already a fan, rejoice. If not, brace yourself.

15 comments:

Christopher Zenga said...

Morning B,


I know there are a lot of people riding the "sick to death of remakes taxi" all the way to New Ideaville, in hopes of finding original horror tales that we can one day make remakes of, But COME ON! Friday the 13th! and the WOLFMAN remake! I am a HUGE fan of the originals but a 2008 makeover could really breathe new life into these old favorites.

Later days,
Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

Wings1295 said...

I am looking forward to a few of these, especially the F13 remake. My Bloody Valentine looks interesting, as does The Wolfman. Not so sure about Halloween 2 or Saw VI. Hoping they are good.

gord said...

Wolf-Man is also my most anticipated film of '09, followed closely by the now most likely delayed Watchmen, and Mann's new film Public Enemies.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I would call F13 a remake, more like a re-envisioning. From what I can tell from the trailer (which was as stereotypical slasher flick as they come) Jason actually will be doing the killing, instead of is mom as it was in the first one. Of course this is all semantics, but I don't dislike re-envisioning, just ridiculous remakes.

B-Sol said...

I am already totally on the record as being on-board for the Wolf Man remake.

AndyDecker said...

There is a lot of "who cares" on the list :-)

The only thing which really interests me is Dead like me which I loved.

And frankly I would rather see Bloody Valentine 3 than Underworld 3. I thought Pt.1 boring beyond belief, not to mention that most of it was stolen from Vampire:The Masquerade.

Christopher Zenga said...

Side note, I just spent the day in Buffalo(I live in Toronto) and picked up Fido, Trailer Park of Terror and Zombie Diary's. So yea I'm jazzed about the re-makes (re-envisioning) but here are hopefully some original Films to get excited about.

Later days,

Christopher Zenga

B-Sol said...

Fido is a real treat. I reviewed it about a year ago.

Christopher Zenga said...

Hey B,

Fido is one of those films that I have been trying to see for ever but life seems to get in the way sometimes, so I am stoked to finally get to watch it.

Here is a question back at cha!
how do you feel about seeing Tokyo gore police?

I'm in the "watch it anyway I can" camp

Later days,

Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

B-Sol said...

Ashamed to say, I'm not at all familiar with it! Hmmmm...I'll have to do a little research.

Christopher Zenga said...

Hey B,

check out last months Fangoria. there is a great wright up.

Note:The kids are asleep and my wife and I are going to curl up with some Fido. I let you know what I think.

Later days,
Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

Wes Fierce said...

"Saw VI: Yep." lmao

Seriously though, I wish I had been here sooner to spam your comments with my love for MBV3D & FD3D. I have to drag my friends to a town an hour away to see MBV3D next week. I wish more people were more excited about it. Its more like an event than just another movie at the theaters. Which, is what most films try to be :P

B-Sol said...

I've got to say, they've done an excellent job of advertising that flick. They know the audience that will come out for it, and they're making no bones about positioning the movie as a fun date movie. I think it's going to do big business. Whether it'll be any good or not, who knows.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've checked out your blog and I'm a fan!

Particularly like your preview of 2009...very useful!

I hope you get a chance to drop in on my blog :

http://cyberschizoid.blogspot.com/

Keep writing and I'll keep reading!!!!
Kind Regards
Rick

B-Sol said...

Thanks for reading, Cyber. That's a pretty cool space you've got there yourself. Keep checking in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...