"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ms. Horror Blogosphere: Entry #12

Blogger: Wednesday's Child
Blog: In It for the Kills


Wednesday's Child thought as a kid that because all the authors whose books she loved included a bio with a long list of random interesting jobs, that it was the random funky jobs that made them good writers. So she decided she wanted to be a writer when she grew up; this event is projected to occur in 2011. Her top five horror movies are The Shining, The Changeling, A Tale of Two Sisters, Poltergeist and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. She is somewhat disappointed that her only child does not like horror movies, but finds comfort in his ability to make up scary stories.

What initially drew you to the horror genre?
It would have to be the books on ghosts that were all up in my elementary school library. By age six, I was looking at pics of the Brown Lady and reading about Borley Rectory. I got addicted to the jolt of scaring the hell out of myself! Considering I live in a town where it is devil worshiping to celebrate Halloween, I don't know why those books were there. Incidentally, I worked in a library in that school district in 2001 and the books were still there.

Who is your biggest inspiration?
David Sedaris. He reminds me that it is possible to make a career out of writing essays about your own life and your wacky family members without drifting off to Lewis Grizzard Land.

Why is it that there seems to be more female horror fans than ever before? Are more women watching horror, or are more women admitting to watching horror?
We're allowed by society to feel aggression and anger now more than previous generations of women, and allowed to be nerds. So it follows that we would learn to use watching horror as an outlet for those feelings of aggression, and that we would get more and more into subjects like horror that have a community of smart people attached.

How does it feel to be a female horror blogger in a world where it seems necessary to have a beard to write about horror movies? Do you find that you’re not taken as seriously?
I don't get any hate mail, does that mean they're pulling the punches cause I'm a girl? Seriously, I would like there to be more back and forth in my comments. I've noticed that my commenters are all super nice, which is like bizarro world for an online writer.

Is image more important for female horror bloggers than male? If so, why?
I'm not sure. The person I consider to be the most successful female horror blogger has what looks like a picture of a well-known actress on her blog and no picture of herself. So maybe it's not that important. Nobody cares what female authors of actual paper books look like. On the other hand, looking at all the young ladies you've featured so far, I'm sorry I don't do any cosplay. I could send you a picture where my head is photoshopped onto Prince's body during his purple phase, but that's the best I can do.

If you could have the baby of one figure in the world of horror, real or fictional, who would it be?
Glad you asked. I've been telling people for ten years I wanted to have a baby by "Joe Bob Briggs," so maybe now I'm getting the platform to make it happen. Hi Joe Bob. I know where there's a drive-in around here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...