"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ms. Horror Blogosphere: Entry #15

Blogger: Sarah Jahier
Blog: Fatally Yours


Sarah took the horror world by storm back in 2005, when she debuted Fatally-Yours.com. It is now the go-to site for all things horror, covering everything from independent to mainstream horror films; from music and books to horror products and clothing companies, as well as featuring interviews with the big names and up-and-comers in horror.
Sarah prides herself on giving honest reviews for the genre she so loves. Everything is done “for the love of horror” (the motto and tagline of Fatally-Yours.com) and in an effort to truly represent all the great (and not-so-great) horror that is out there!
Sarah is also proud to represent a growing number of women who have taken up horror’s banner, and isn’t afraid to fight for the genre she is so obsessed about!

Are significant others generally freaked out or psyched by your horror proclivities?
Most people find it very unique and interesting, but I’ve definitely had my fair share of “you do what?!” conversations. I just have to explain to them that watching horror is such a cathartic experience where fear is felt in a safe environment, much like a rollercoaster. Through a controlled environment, you can get an adrenaline rush and run a gamut of emotions, but still know you are safe! My significant other has been very supportive of me and loves that I love horror and can school him any day!

Why is it that there seems to be more female horror fans than ever before? Are more women watching horror, or are more women admitting to watching horror?
Interesting question, but I think there have always been a large number of women who love horror, I just don’t think they were really given any attention by movie studios or the media in general. And now, of course, women have the ability to share their love of the genre online. I’ve seen such a wonderful increase in women writers writing about the genre we all love, which I think is just amazing!

Who is your biggest inspiration?
All the women horror bloggers that came before me, especially Heidi Martinuzzi of Pretty-Scary.net. She really emphasized that women in horror have been overlooked for a long time, and her site is all about showcasing the women in the genre. She is an amazing woman, and gave me an opportunity to write for Pretty-Scary, which gave me a lot of experience for running and writing for Fatally-Yours.

Is image more important for female horror bloggers than male? If so, why?
In a perfect world, a woman’s writing would speak for itself and image wouldn’t matter, but unfortunately, in our world, sex still sells. The image of female journalists matter to a certain extent, because it seems like the majority of horror fans are still male. But I suppose it all boils down to how a particular female writer wants to be viewed.
As for myself, I didn’t start Fatally-Yours with the intention to get famous, I just wanted an outlet where I could write about my passion, the horror genre. So I don’t place a big emphasis on image. Other writers place a large deal of emphasis on their image, but I think it all comes down to the writing and if it’s any good. If it’s good, people will keep coming back no matter your image! If it’s bad… well, then you won’t get much credibility. I definitely think your writing should come way ahead of your image.

If you could have the baby of one figure in the world of horror, real or fictional, who would it be? Not including Bruce Campbell/Ash...
This is a tricky subject, because I definitely don’t want kids… the whole body horror of Cronenberg’s The Brood and Paul Solet’s Grace definitely scared me off of being a mommy! But hypothetically, if I HAD to choose someone, I would probably pick Leslie Vernon from Behind the Mask. It’s a recent pick, but think about it – he’s charming, smart, handsome, young, in shape and extremely intelligent. Of course, he’d always be out there going after virgins, but at least my baby would have good genes!

Why do all of you like Campbell so much, anyway?
Do you have to ask? It’s all because of his boomstick, of course!

1 comment:

ChuKKer13 said...

I think Sarah Jahier is very deserving of this vote. She's sharp, extremely intelligent, honestly opinionated & can be funny at times; with the perfect mix of sarcasm: mildly dry sense of humor (with just a touch of moistness). Most importantly, she KNOWS what the hell she's talking about. She's VERY passionate about the subject matter of all things horror. I also happen to think that she's a very gifted writer, which is one of the most crucial key ingredients in the "Forever Stirring Cauldron of Special Stew" that is Sarah.....Folks, say hello to your new Ms. Blogosphere, Sarah Jahier!! ~:{ChuKKer}:~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...