"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Friday, May 22, 2009

Will Spider-Man Be Doing Battle with a Vampire?

If you're a comic book geek like myself, then it's more than likely that Spider-Man 3 left all kinds of bad taste in your mouth. Chances are you're hoping for something to turn the franchise around in the inevitable fourth flick, and break the dreaded "three-movie curse" that seems to dog superhero series. In that case, an interview posted today on CHUD, courtesy of FearNET, might be just what the mortician ordered.

We all know that Sam Raimi is an old-school (read: pre-Venom) Spidey fan, and has a particular affinity for the villains of the '60s and '70s. Well, earlier this year he sparked some interest by declaring his love of the classic '70s baddie known as Morbius, the Living Vampire. Since then, there has been much speculation that Marvel's own undead heavy would be showing up in the next movie.

Doing press for Drag Me to Hell, Raimi was questioned on the topic by FearNET, and the response is interesting, if not particularly enlightening. The Evil Dead director sarcastically feigns ignorance of the rumors, then goes on to kind of sidestep the question and launch into a whole diatribe on why he loves vampires so much. That, plus his whole "deer in the headlights" look indicates to me that there might be a solid chance we'll see Spidey tangling with a nosferatu come 2011. I mean, why would Raimi go on and on about the appeal of vampires, anyway? If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is.

To check out video of the interview, and the awkward response, head over to CHUD. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Sony can right the course of the once-mighty Webhead franchise. Morbius would be quite sweet, indeed. But to tell you the truth, anything would be better than watching Topher Grace defile the reputation of the greatest comic book villain of the past 25 years...

* * * * * * * * * *

On a completely unrelated note, I'd just like to point out for all you classic horror fans out there that Hank Azaria does an awe-inspiring imitation of Boris Karloff in the new Night at the Museum sequel. He plays an ancient Egyptian villain in the vein of Imhotep, and the homage was enough to turn my frown upside-down after being coerced into going to see the family flick in the first place.

7 comments:

Ms Harker said...

JH is sitting next to me on the couch and echoes the sentiment re: the real villains of the 60's and 70's. The picture of Morbius looks sick! I and JH relish the idea of Spidey taking on the undead, especially Morbius. Interesting times ahead for the web-slinger.

'Nuff said.
Ms Harker
www.musingcontinuum.wordpress.com

B-Sol said...

There's a very good chance of it. Plus, rumor has it The Lizard will be showing up too. So that's a classic '60s villain and a classic '70s villain. Not bad....

Christopher Zenga said...

I think we will see mysterio first, but there is endless possibilities.

Later days,

Chris

B-Sol said...

I'd LOVE to see Mysterio--he was my favorite Spidey villain as a kid. However, I've heard nothing to indicate that.

BJ Colangelo said...

Oh my GOD Mysterio....

Anonymous said...

I REALLY hope that having Mobius in it isn't an excuse to bring a cameo or more to Blade. Mobius was known to tangle with him on occasion.

I think sticking with a single baddie (a la Spidey I & II) is the way to go. That said, I'd like to see the Lizard or Carnage.

B-Sol said...

The Lizard, Carnage and Morbius are all names that have been bandied about...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...