"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Tuesday Top 10: Creepiest Music Videos

Continuing the musical theme here in the Vault, join me this week as I take a look at the freakiest, eeriest, spookiest music videos ever to creep out our ADHD-addled, MTV generation brains. Enjoy...

10. "School's Out" by Gwar



Ah, Gwar, how I miss you. Gladiator costumes, fishnets, giant mechanical penises ejaculating on the crowd... that was music, kids.

9. "White Wedding" by Billy Idol



Eighties new wave meets Bride of Frankenstein. This one is just plain weird. Honestly, I find myself creeped out by Billy's sneer more than anything else.

8. "Y Control" by The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
A band I truly love, and not one I'd usually expect to creep me out. But they pulled it off, all thanks to that always reliable tool--creepy kids!

Music Videos by VideoCure


7. "Bark at the Moon" by Ozzy Osbourne



It's Ozzy as Dr. Jekyll--what more do you want???

6. "Dig Up Her Bones" by The Misfits



Everything The Misfits did was scary as hell. And this one's about as good as it gets. Horror-punk at its best. Gotta love the Franky cameo!

5. "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails



A bizarre, demented peak into the mind of Trent Reznor, whom Tori Amos once said "just needs a cup of hot cocoa and a warm blankie." Maybe so Tori, maybe so.

4. "Sober" by Tool



Stop-motion animation hasn't been this scary since the heyday of Ray Harryhausen. Also, points to anyone who can tell me what the eff is going on in this video...

3. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson



Duh, no-brainer. I'm not ashamed to admit that this video scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid. With the help of John Landis, the late King of Pop paid homage to zombie cinema with style.

2. "Dragula" by Rob Zombie



Was there any question that this guy was going to go on to become a horror movie director? Watch out for the footage from the 1920 Jekyll & Hyde, recently reviewed here.

1. "Sweet Dreams" by Marilyn Manson

Music Videos by VideoCure


The first time I saw it, with no knowledge of who the guy was, this video bored into my soul and filled my heart with icewater. I remember thinking, is this guy even human, or some kind of CG effect? Since then, he's become more of a camp figure, but back then, this clip was the stuff of nightmares.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does Danzig not makes this list(How The Gods Kill being my fav)? And The Misfits aren't The Misfits w/o Glen, IMO. Jerry has completely bastardized that band. I digress.

Overall, great list as always good sir!

B-Sol said...

Thank you sir, Danzig is another great choice. Consider that one number 11 :-)

Anonymous said...

You know, I probably couldn't expect you to list SPK's "Despair" music video here, but to again forsake Skinny Puppy is a sin. Most of their videos are horror-related, but in my opinion, "Spasmolytic" is the creepiest. It was directed by Jim Van Bebber (THE MANSON FAMILY). You acknowledge the bands that stole so much from Puppy (nine inch nails/Marilyn Manson), but totally ignore the band itself. Consider yourself deleted from my bookmarks. It's been fun.

B-Sol said...

Wish I could say the same!

Mister Bones said...

No neeed to miss GWAR, they're very much alive and kicking! I'll be seeing them again at the Gathering of the Juggalos this year.

B-Sol said...

Wow...Gwar and ICP on one show. That just may be too much evil to handle.

RayRay said...

This is a very nice list. All are creepy videos indeed.

As for Sober, and taking the lyrics into account, I felt that the underlying theme was about narcotics addiction, with the box being an allegory for both the stash of the main character as well as his soul. He returns to the box multiple times, you see him get "high" [his feet leaving the floor while sitting in a chair], until the box is empty or not there one day. And then all Hell breaks loose.

I would suggest you check out Tool's follow up to Sober, Prison Sex. While Sober is disturbing, Prison Sex has a similar animated style, but with a highly distrubing power dynamic going on as well.

As for Mr. or Ms. Anonymous - good riddance. Wow, B-Sol left out Skinny Puppy. What an effing crime against humanity. He also left out Black Sabbath, the one that started it all [for the sake of argument]. Big effing whoop. Obviously someone with too much time on their hands in their mother's basement. Get a job.

B-Sol said...

Thanks for the input Ray, that finally does shed a little light on that video for me.

And yeah... remember when you could actually get that upset about stuff like this? Ah, those were the days...

Wayne Hipley said...

I was CERTAIN "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden would be here - that video used to scare the hell out of my son. WAY up on the creepy meter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSkyEyBczU

Tiffani said...

Awesome list B-Sol. That NIN video always creeped me out as a kid. Also, glad to see The Misfits on here; Dig Up Her Bones is actually a favorite of mine :)

And on a side note to the Anonymous poster: I find it strange that you feel so strongly about something, yet you do not feel compelled to put your name/face behind it lol :)

buried alive said...

Man I love just about everyone of those videos. Even thriller, even though Michael in real life almost ruins the video for me. This is a little unrelated but it fits the horror theme. This made me laugh. Baxter is slightly nerdy, supercool.

http://baxterking.com/?p=2703

Zach. said...

How about Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy" video? That's pretty creepy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...