"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Friday, June 5, 2009

Whoopi Wants to Get Scary

As if the stuff she's already acted in isn't frightening enough, veteran unfunny comedienne Whoopi Goldberg apparently longs to grace the horror genre with her eyebrowless presence. Here's what she had to say on Wednesday to Contactmusic:

"I've always wanted to do horror. No-one will let me do horror, but I think I'd be the best monster because no-one would suspect me. I'd be under the couch, they would say, 'Oh, there's Whoopi' or 'There's that character that looks like Whoopi.' But they'd never suspect I would reach out and grab them and eat the entire family. No one! Because people think I'm very sweet and very nice."

It's true, Whoopi has never appeared in a horror movie in 27 years in the business (unless you count a tiny bit part in Bordello of Blood). I suppose the closest thing would be Ghost, which isn't close at all. And which, along with The Color Purple, is one of the only watchable things she was ever in. I vote she stays on The View rather than sullying my fave genre with her tiny sunglasses-wearing, Frank Langella-loving self. Thoughts?

* * * * * * * * * *

For those who haven't seen it yet, I've once again invaded Day of the Woman with another Woman of the Week entry. This time out, it's Gloria Holden, better known as Dracula's Daughter! To enjoy my unmistakable prose style, go here.

7 comments:

John Sunseri said...

I'm always open to actors appearing in horror movies who you wouldn't expect to be in horror movies, even actors as annoying as Ms. Goldberg. Who knows? With the right script and the right director, she may turn out to be truly scary.

Keep in mind--Arnold Schwarzenegger was an annoying actor until James Cameron figured out how to use him properly in THE TERMINATOR. Keanu Reeves was (and still is) an annoying actor, but put him in BILL AND TED or SPEED, and his liabilities become assets. I think I could come up with a script for Whoopi...

Scott said...

B-Sol,

I'm not sure I would watch a horror film with Whoopi in it myself.

BJ Colangelo said...

umm ghost? she was soooo possessed...

Monster Scholar said...

Isn't she in the Closer with Benjamin Bratt? Now that's scary.

CRwM said...

When you say "I've once again invaded Day of the Woman," it sounds dirty.

movie scary said...

Not sure if its going to work Whoopi.

Anonymous said...

Whoopi's done horror. She was in an episode of Tales from the Crypt. She even did a scene with the Cryptkeeper at the end. And, yes, her deadpan expression goes great with horror.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...