"A REALLY INTELLIGENT INTERVIEWER." -- Lance Henriksen
"QUITE SIMPLY, THE BEST HORROR-THEMED BLOG ON THE NET." -- Joe Maddrey, Nightmares in Red White & Blue

**Find The Vault of Horror on Facebook and Twitter, or download the new mobile app!**

**Check out my other blogs, Standard of the Day, Proof of a Benevolent God and Lots of Pulp!**


Monday, December 22, 2008

Rosemary's Baby Remake Dead! The Birds Remake in Question!

Platinum Dunes head honchos Brad Fuller and Andrew Form dropped a bombshell today that's sure to please those, like myself, firmly planted in the anti-remake camp. During the press conference for the upcoming Platinum Dunes production The Unborn, Fuller & Form indicated firmly that the previously touted redo of Roman Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is no longer happening. Here's what they said over at Collider.com:

"We went down that road and we even talked to the best writers in town and it feels like it might not be do-able. We couldn’t’ come up with something where it felt like it was relevant and we could add something to it other than what it was so we’re now not going to be doing that film."

Score one for reason. Huzzah!

Furthermore, here's what the boys had to say about another frequently poo-pooed remake they've been attached to, that of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds:

"Martin [Campbell] has been working on the script and we’re expecting a script in the next 2-3 weeks, but... its not like Drew, Michael [Bay] and I think that we’re just going to crap all over Alfred Hitchcock’s movie. I mean, Alfred Hitchcock, in a company-wide opinion, is probably the greatest director of what we do, and other things too... Michael and I studied [him] in college, and there’s a reverence for him. So that’s not a movie that we’re just going to step up and just go have birds attacking people and trying to throw that into the box office. If we can’t make that movie unique or add something to it, I don’t think we’re going to make it."

Hmmm. Could it be that the glut of remakes is finally causing some to come to their senses and respect the sanctity of classics that shouldn't be remade? Well... let's not get carried away. But at least Rosemary's Baby is officially off. Spread the word.

Special thanks to fervent reader Gord for passing along this scoop!

13 comments:

gord said...

I'll say what I've said elsewhere;

Dare I say I was actually looking forward to the Rosemary’s remake…

While the original is a classic, I would have loved to have seen how they could make the climax a little more tense and frightening, since, I’m sorry, but Satan worshipers don’t exactly pack as much a punch today as they did 40 years ago.

Then again, that assumes that they’d make a decent movie overall, and getting to the climax would be an enjoyable ride.

As for The Birds, anything by Hitchcock is a classic, but I can't see too many people being upset over a remake. And sure Hollywood's full of liars and scumbags, but the comments about not wanting to remake the movie as an action film, or not making it if they can't add anything good, sound alright to me so far.

And you're welcome for the info.

Christopher Zenga said...

Morning B-Sol.

Here is my two cents,

The remake can be done well, just look at the the Ring (2002), Dawn of the dead (2004), Texsas Chainsaw Massacer (2003), and Dark water (2005). Now these are by no means replacements for the original but they freshen up a franchise for a time period who's audience seems to need there horror more visceral. However, The remake can go horribly wrong just see films like Day of the dead (2008), Psyco (1998) and the largest travesty of the group SHUTTER (2008)! ( I am biased, second......just barley second to the original night of the living dead, Shutter (2004) is quite possibly my favorite horror film of all time.) I think if rushed, a remake can be disastrous, especially if you are talking about an institution like the Birds, and would be better off shelved but I wouldn't wright off the re-make entirely. Like I said on your
Top 25 films of the modern era blog, "gateway films" we can use the Hi- gore, sexy starlet's and fast zombies to attract the younger and apprehensive audience and get them in to our world where we can introduce them to the classics. I know I may run the risk of sounding hypocritical here based on my last post
"Horror cinema is like wine, there really is no bad wine just different flavours for different pallets " But the 2008 Shutter re-make is a painful ,blaspheming,pile of shit!

Later days,
Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

B-Sol said...

I'll put it like this. I'm not dead set against remakes per se--yes, they are sometimes done well. My issue is that there are FAR too many of them being done today. More than ever. We're going to look back in 20 years, and realize that half the movies that were made during this decade were remakes of earlier movies.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that hopefully there slowing down on remakes. I was never a fan of the original Rosemary's baby, so I could do without the remake. Which I'm glad isn't happening :)

Kitty LeClaw said...

I'm so glad
they're not re-making
Fa-la-la-la-la
write something new!

B-Sol said...

Quite a catchy tune, Kitty! Now, if only I could get you to participate in my polls...

Christopher Zenga said...

Agreed,
I would much rather see new, original stories being told. I can't tell you how many versions of Night of the living dead I own. (side note: watch night of the living dead 3D, Sid Haig is SOLID GOLD!) It is certainly frustrating to think that studios won't back independent filmmakers, or take risks on new ideas when they can just churn out a saw movie every year and guarantee sucess at the box office. With that said do you really see the next Coffin Joe film knocking a movie like The Dark Knight from atop the #1 movie in north America pedestal? Here is a question back at the group. how do you feel about re-making Asian films? not for the sake of a re-make but for the fact that everyone does not have access to a Yes Asia or Tartan extreme for reissues of the originals. Do you see any merit in exposing Westerners to Asian cinema via a re-make?

Later Days,

Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

AndyDecker said...

So there is dancing in the street? :-)

Count me also in the anti-remake camp. 90% are crap.

B-Sol said...

As far as Asian remakes go, I'd much rather see the originals get decent US distribution. I'd even go so far as to dub them, since a lot of dumb Americans have issues with subtitles. I'd rather watch a dubbed Asian movie than a remake of it. As a kid, I was exposed to spaghetti westerns, kung-fu movies, Godzilla movies, etc--in their original versions, just dubbed. Can you imagine if American distributors back then had decided instead to REMAKE those movies for American audiences???

Christopher Zenga said...

Ahhhh MOTHRA!

I am on your side B-Sol, the charm of those movies is that they are exactly what the writer/director wanted, with no pesky Americans screwing around with there vision.

And I would love to get major theatrical releases of Asian films here (I prefer to watch at home) but even a mass DVD distribution would be awesome. For anyone who cares, go pick up these Films before they get remade or before you watch the remakes

Shutter
R-point
tale of two sisters
the eye
Battle royal
host
Dark water ( I love the re-make sorry)
Ichi the killer

There are so many more, but this is a good start
Later days,
Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think subtitles is a preference for certain people. I have watched several subtitles. But, I don't think you need to call people dumb Americans if someone chooses not to watch them, that's there preference.

Christopher Zenga said...

If I'm not mistaken, B-Sol IS an American? And I think he was pretty close to the truth. Americans are not dumb but North America as a whole does not seem to have an overwhelming appreciation for foreign Cinema. Here in Canada there are only selected theaters that get Foreign films and If a rare one like Pan's labyrinth breaks through it's more because it is driven by visuals. Look at Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx, that was a major theatrical release, DUBBED! The studios will give the public what the majority wants, and it seems the masses do not want to read there movies.

Later Days,

Christopher Zenga
thedayafterart.blogspot.com

B-Sol said...

Anonymous, you've got a point. And in the spirit of Christmas, I apologize for my elitism. Indeed, subtitles vs. dubbing is a choice. I prefer subs, but either way is preferable to an Americanized remake, that's for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...